Thursday, October 8, 2009

Answer to Di's comment bit or bitless

It's a really difficult one Di, but we could say anything used with bad hands will cause problems!

We have to look at what we are trying to achieve (if it is flexion, why? Flexion is not a natural position for the horse either and the average horse does not carry himself like this. For greater control? then our basic work needs to be revised)

My choice is for a bit, but I would not rule out using bitless if I felt the horse was really much more comfortable in a bitless bridle.

One of the reasons I chose to stay with a bit is a few months ago we had a lesson on a head disection using photos, I was shocked at how superficial the thick nerves were on the nasal bone just where the nose band sits. The nerves are really important and anything pressing will relay a message further down the line ( spinal cord).

For me the pressure put on the mandible by the bit is more "humane" than on the nasal bone but again generally when we use pressure it is because we want flexion this in it's self is the cause of many a tight neck!

Both methods will cause tension in the poll, the bit if over used will cause tension in the TMJ and the bitless presses on the nerves!

So really the answer to your question would be try and find the balance that you and your horse are happy with, it you want flexion follow it with extension, if you need greater control, why? what is causing the resistance?

I have to admit all my horses go off my voice so I have little use for their bits, However for my stallion I do occasionally use a double bridle,(for a finer feel and more exact work) but Sue oliviera's words never leave my mind
"you want to feel as if you are holding a little bird in your hand, you don't want to squash it but at the same time you don't want to let it go!"

4 comments:

  1. That's really interesting Lucinda and thanks! I would have probably said exactly the same thing a year ago(well minus the nod to bitless because I had zero knowledge or interest in it at that point. I've heard the same analogy used with the bird and thought the double added a finesse to my work only bettered by maybe riding in a curb alone.
    Yes, if you have an excellent independant seat and the quietest of hands I still think it's acceptable as you say but I'm heartened that you also feel open enough to use a bitless option if necessary.
    Are you talking about lateral or longitudinal flexion or purely flexions of the jaw/poll as Philippe Karl? Unsurprisingly I'm finding flexion/relaxation of the jaw unecessary without a bit and that lateral flexion occurs to the point it's necessary in order to perform a movement. Longitudinal flexion happens quite naturally during the stretching down work even with just a rope around the neck.
    Hope you'll find time to blog more and I hope the osteo course is going well, Trudi

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is one thing I have learnt form horses is you have to have an open mind, if not there is no point continuing.

    When I talk about Flexion extension or lateroflexion
    it is purely about the joints.

    Flexion of the joint ( bones move towards each other) so when the horse is in an outline or collected

    Extension opening of the joints so stretching down work

    Lateroflexion flexion of the joint on the lateral plane ie turning or circles

    ReplyDelete
  3. So flexion, being a necessary part of our ultimate goal of collection, is always balanced by extension, we certainly agree on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lucinda, your comment;
    "For me the pressure put on the mandible by the bit is more "humane" than on the nasal bone"
    It's interesting to hear another point of view on the subject. So, I need to know the "science" behind the method, ie, bitted v bitless.
    It goes without saying that the rider should have good hands with a balanced seat,and also the importance of good basic training, but this whole training ethic goes further, with a real understanding and communication between horse and trainer.

    ReplyDelete