Friday, August 14, 2009

Cheval de trait

I was in the saddle at stupid o'clock today, both the horses and I are fed up with the heat and flies, I think it was so hot this afternoon that there were no flies, at one point the youngsters were out eating in full sun.

Today was the first time I have treated a "Cheval de trait" Nelson a 8 year old Comtois was a very willing patient helping me out where he could (he was huge). I was suprised how supple he was and given he is out most weekends pulling the family around on their "ballads" he was in very good shape.

Last weekend I went to Chalais show jumping as part of a report for my osteopathy course, just before the puissance they had the para riders show jumping. Every time I have watched disabled riders show jumping it fills me with a sense of complete uselessness, (The blind riders being lead by the lead pony is the most impressive thing I have ever seen)the bond they have with their horses, the courage and confidence they have with each other they over come all the odds, it really is humbling. I must remember each time I ride how lucky I am and that the frustration that I get if a session hasn't gone well, it could be much greater. I take my hat off to all off them.
If ever you get the chance to see them, do, I would recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment